It's been a long time and so much has happened..... June 13th

As I said last time I was this way, as the daylight hours have extended to midsummer the chances of updating this blog have reduced. SORRY!

So what's happened in the last few weeks? Lots of new birds with great success getting the possible East Anglian birds on the Green Year list. In fact the only possible bird that I missed was golden oriole. Otherwise all from nightingale to honey buzzard were seen.
Rarities included the little bittern at Lakenheath, white-rumped sandpiper at Frampton and a bee-eater passing during a prolonged seawatch at Spurn Point. 3 different red-necked phalaropes can't be bad and a glaucous gull at Bower marshes RSPB reserve on a return trip to south Essex when trying to see the black-winged stilts was unexpected.

There was also an appearance on the BBC's Springwatch. In the morning I was on Springwatch Extra with Brett Westward. In the evening there was the pleasure of being on Springwatch Unsprung. Chris Packham hosted and the whole experience was wonderful.

I am now just north of York on the way over to Lancashire where the big trek north really begins. The RSPB Ribble Discovery Centre on Wednesday 17th of June will be followed by Leighton Moss the following day. I'll be meeting RSPB staff at Eric Morecambe's statue that day and we'll be cycling together to the reserve along the route that I wrote about in the May edition of Birdwatch magazine.

Through The Lake District and into Scotland after a few days for bike repairs and servicing will have me getting to Orkney by early August. Then the following weeks will decide whether I beat the magic 300 total I wish for. Orkney and Shetland may give me the rare birds I need to reach that target.

Anyway with my total as of today on 235, 32 ahead of where I was back in 2010, I feel positive that I have a good chance of beating the 300.

Watch this space!

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little near death scenario to keep me thinking.

Two Days, 3 RSPB reserves, 3 new year list birds and 3 fabulous people encounters.

Machynlleth to Maentwrog. 24th to 27th March. Barn owls!